Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My first General Election

Assalamualaikum.

As a reporter for a mainstream newspaper, it gets very difficult, especially during the elections.

For one thing, you are expected to deliver and perform at a certain level.

Then, you have the fear of people throwing hateful comments at you because you are "mainstream media" and people blaming journalists for coming up with such one-sided reports.

Okay, look.

  1. Please understand that we are only doing what we are told to do, as instructed. It is only part of our jobs, and it does not necessarily reflect what our principles and beliefs are.
  2. Before you go on and start talking about journalists being hypocrites, do you know how hard it is for a job to come by these days? It's not easy to just pack up your things and leave, you know. Yes of course there is that question of integrity and dignity. But there is also the question of responsibility and the need to simply SURVIVE. 
  3. If you have read, and studied, "freedom of media" is so rare nowadays. There is, however, "media ownership". Which means, any media, print, electronic, or new media, has its owners. Ya, memang mainstream media belongs to the government and it's slanted to the government. But alternative media, isn't it slanted to one side too?
  4. If you think that mainstream media is biased, the best way is to take everything from both sides  and make an informed conclusion of everything, no?
During my final interview I had before I was hired, one of the bosses reminded me who the paper belonged to. I told him that I knew.

I know what I'm getting into. I realise who and what I work for. It's just not nice for people to be blaming us working in mainstream media because this is just what we do, you know?

Anyway.

Yes. I see and understand how people are upset with last weekend's election outcome.

It's not easy accepting defeat, and it's not easy to be the one being blamed for the defeat.
It's not easy being blamed and being the centre of hatred.

I am for free and fair elections as well. I am for a better country, a better future for my generation and the generations after us.

But why all the hate and anger?

And I'm saying this to everyone, regardless of creed.

It's not nice to accuse someone of lying and cheating. Fitnah namanya.
It's not nice to come up with racial slurs. Racist namanya.
It's not nice to call people names and be cussing. Rude namanya.
It's not nice to be threatening people and wishing they were dead. Now that's just being mean.

We are just too complex a nation. There are so many folds and layers in us that it's very easy to hurt someone even with the simplest statement.

 If everyone would just calm down, and don't be consumed by anger, emotions and hatred, I'm very sure that we would be able to come up with a better solution for the situation.

Breathe ba breathe. Tarik nafas, hembus nafas. Kap hei, fu hei. 

Ala, macam bersatu kita teguh, bercerai kita roboh. Something like that ba, you know.

We have to move forward, and discuss with an open mind. Not easy, yes, I know. But there's no harm in trying.

Ya. Saya memang anak Malaysia. Kita semua anak Malaysia. That is exactly why we should not let Malaysia turn into this darkness we're bringing it into.

Rise, my fellow Malaysians. Come la ba we work sama-sama, fikir cara-cara to be a better Malaysia. We are a beautiful country with beautiful people. Don't let emotions take the best of us.

I have the confidence in Malaysia. I have the confidence that we will go back to our happy sun-shiny days.

Here's to better days. Let's be kinder, okay?

<3 br="">

No comments:

Post a Comment

And you say?